Did you know that on average, 16% of the money you spend on a product pays for the packaging, which ultimately ends up as rubbish? Also, up to 60% of the rubbish that ends up in the dustbin could be recycled!
Luckily, innovative minds came up with an idea to tackle this challenge. At the moment, multiple zero waste shops are opening to offer consumers a chance to buy their groceries in the most sustainable way possible. You don’t have to buy products that are double-packed. Why pack cereal in a plastic bag and pack that plastic bag in a carton package? You choose to buy these products. But we have good news for you, you can also choose NOT to buy these products. Just grab your grocery totes and reusable jars and provide your own packaging. This way, you prevent creating unnecessary waste.
Use the ZeroWasteHome Bulk application to find package-free locations worldwide. No zero waste shops near you? Not a problem, just implement the zero waste lifestyle at home. Refuse what you do not need, reduce what you do need, reuse what you consume, recycle what you cannot refuse, reduce or reuse, and rot (Compost) the rest.
Some tips to start living the zero waste life:
- Welcome alternatives to disposables
- Learn to love your tap water
- Use 100% recycled and unbleached toilet paper
- Welcome natural cleaning alternatives: Castile soap on floors and sinks, homemade all purpose cleaner baking soda for scrubbing jobs, and vinegar for mildew
- Dry on a line when possible
- Use ceramic dishes and cloth napkins at all times
- Educate your friends about your zero waste effort
- Buy second-hand clothing
- Donate unworn pieces
And you? What are you tips for a zero waste life?